Thursday, January 28, 2016

Spoon Theory & Fight or Flight

I've gotten a couple new tools recently to use when I need to explain some of my current shit to someone.  Maybe you will find them useful too.

Spoon Theory

I'd never heard of spoon theory until a friend posted a link to a tshirt that said something about no more spoons, and having only knives left.  I looked it up to find it's a way of explaining what it's like to have one of a number of mental or physical issues that leave you with limited mental or emotional energy to deal with life.  Christine Miserandino came up with it while trying to explain to her friend what it was like to have Lupus.  You can read her full story on her website www.butyoudon'tlooksick.com.
The idea of spoon theory is that spoons represent a unit of energy for doing things in your day; a typical person has an unlimited supply to spend during the day to do all the things they need and want to do, while someone else with a disability, chronic illness, or mental issues might have a limited supply, and when that day's supply is gone they have no more until they get a chance to do whatever they do to recharge (usually rest).
I don't have nearly the issues of someone with Lupus or other chronic diseases; I don't spend spoons taking a shower or cooking my dinner.  For me it's certain kinds of interaction.  For instance, I didn't spend any spoons being at work today as it was an easy day and no one asked me any hard questions nor put me on the spot about anything; however I went to an industry function after work, and though I enjoyed the talk immensely, I came home exhausted due to the interacting with strangers that happened.  I arrived early and found a seat near the center and sat alone for just a couple minutes; then a woman came over and sat next to me, saying it was a good location, and introduced herself.  She asked me about myself, and then one by one various other women who knew her came over until there was a small group of us, and all of them knew each other, except me.  I ended up right in the center, often being talked around.  No one was rude, and they did try to include me in the conversations, but trying to seem comfortable in the middle of the group spent many spoons.  Most of what I had left for the day.  I'm now under the covers at home, enjoying the quiet, and recharging.


Fight or Flight

I've written about having the jitters before.  Well, I think it's the same as fight or flight.  It's like the switch for fight or flight short circuits and dumps those chemicals in my body even when nothing external warrants fight or flight.  At the beginning my brain would always grab something and decide that must be the thing that is wrong, and it'd take me a full day (or two) to get over it.  Slowly I'm learning to just feel the sensation, and keep my brain free from needing to pin the sensation on an imagined danger. It is still distracting, but doesn't take me down emotionally for an extended period of time.  It isn't easy though.  But have faith, if you get the jitters, know it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment